Weighing in on R and D

20.9.06

I have been receiving many questions as of late about my lack of posts. I wanted to address that issue by saying I made a rule to myself that I wouldn't post again until I had my model of Simon Fraser University finished. However since moving and starting a new job in the past month, I have been having less time to do this and I have been frustrated by the lack of progress. So I've changed my mind.

I wanted to let anyone that reads this blog know that I will be posting on the progress of my work and posting screen caps to share the development of SFU layer. The reasons for this effort are two fold; first to create a discussion around the creation of state of the art 3D and rich content for Google Earth and secondly to weigh in on features of Google Earth being implemented in 3D and rich content that provide greater function for the user and the development of virtual worlds at large. At least this way, it will allow anyone from the GIS and geospatial communities to way in on my work.



In the timespan that I've been working on the model of Simon Fraser University, almost a year now, there are several factors that have affected the relevancy and currency of my work beyond the limitations of work hours to commit to r&d. The first being the development of new photomapping technics that allow for high resolution elevation data to be created from aerial photos(example 1, example 2), as addressed by Dr. Andrew Hudson-Smith of CASA who maintains the Digitally Distributed Environments blog. The most recent addition of time mapping in kml allowing an animation of sorts of progressional data. Greater accuracy of the spatial representation in Google Earth based on improvements in the projection methods between versions 3 and 4 of GE. Texture mapping has also presented a further alternative to very basic color mapping of 3D models by the Google Earth engine.

These changes have prevented new features that could potentially be included in the functionality of the SFU model. The biggest question now, is just how many of these features need to be included in the model to make it useful, and in the longer term, how to update the content once it has been posted to the Google Earth community without creating a bigger problem of version control as I update the content.

Any suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Chris - spineFORGE said...

Hey Stefan

Cool to see you're still alive!
Committing to a big modelling project is getting scarier every day. Automation presents us with advantages, but also great challenges. Will humans be motivated to build things that can be so easily replicated by algorithm?

From Borknagar:
"Could a mathematical formula
Improve our existential stamina?
Would explaining our kin universally
Keep up our vital vivacity?
Or would it onshroud us in disillusion?"

I want to build a planet - but Google beat me to it ;)

Mon Sep 25, 05:19:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home